GC performance - was Re: [gclist] GC topics

Kelvin Nilsen kelvin@iastate.edu
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 10:32:17 -0600

>> I think that 20% is an acceptable overhead for GC. I also read
>> somewhere that it is usually less (about 5%?) .
>>

>I guess that the difference (between 5% and 20%) might come from the fact
>that we do not generate native code directly from YAFL, but generate
>intermediate C instead.

Are the two of you talking about the same thing?

  In my experience, measurements of 5% or less usually refer to the time spent
  in garbage collection itself.  Measurements of 20% or higher usually refer
  to the maintenance overhead of supporting the garbage collection protocol
  (e.g. setting up run-time type tags, implementing read/write barriers,
   following indirection pointers...)

__
Kelvin Nilsen, Research Scientist                       voice: (515) 294-5143
151 ASC II, CATD                                          fax: (515) 294-9519
Iowa State University                            internet: kelvin@iastate.edu
Ames, IA  50011                   http://kickapoo.catd.iastate.edu/index.html