GC performance - was Re: [gclist] GC topics

David Chase chase@centerline.com
Wed, 21 Feb 96 10:49:43 EST

> In any case, I think we agree on the fact that precise GC is far easier,
> and globally more reliable and faster than conservative GC's...

This is completely wrong.  Precise garbage collection, especially
in the presence of an uncooperative compiler, is quite hard indeed.
The Boehm-Weiser collector is as close to plug-and-play as you can
hope to find, and I've ported it (easily) in the past, and I've written
a conservative garbage collector from scratch in relatively little
time.  Even when I think about making a compiler more cooperative,
my paper designs still involve use of a conservative, or somewhat
conservative, collector.

speaking for myself,

David Chase