[gclist] Re: gclist-digest V1 #68

Arturo Bejar arturo@communities.com
Fri, 7 Jun 96 15:03:00 +0100

>If you look carefully, you'll see that terminate messages are only
>actually necessary when there cycles.

Precisely the point.

According to the paper the algorithm is of (5n) complexity in a worst
case scenario, where n is a call return over the wire so it is actually 2
messages (for checking the status of the neighbouring node, and figuring
out the coloring). As with these algorithms real use will usually not
bring out the worst case scenarios.

We have a working implementation (for Java) of a different algorithm,
somewhat similar to the one posted by giuliano@ix.netcom.com (I'm sorry I
don't know your name), but it doesn't deadlock.  I hope to post it to the
mailing list soon.

Arturo

Arturo Bejar                   "What you can see, you can achieve."
arturo@communities.com                          - J. Verne, sort of