[gclist] Re: gclist-digest V1 #68

Arturo Bejar arturo@communities.com
Fri, 7 Jun 96 11:20:48 +0100

>I should also point out that the algorithm I presented in my paper
>went beyond just a depth-first search to mark each node touched as
>either alive or garbage, unlike a pure DFS which only proves if the
>initiating node is alive or dead.  That also cuts down the number of
>times the algorithm is run, and provides lots of interesting
>information that could be used for other heuristics.

Yes, but your algorithm was expensive in the number of messages sent and
it still had to go back to the initial node to determine when the
coloring was done, and then it has to propagate terminate messages, which
by all effects is not too different from an effective dfs, the biggest
advantage that your algorithm provides is the fact that it cleans up all
garbage, not just cycles which leaves plenty of room for optimisation
there.

Arturo Bejar                   "What you can see, you can achieve."
arturo@communities.com                          - J. Verne, sort of