[gclist] Collecting distributed cyclic garbage.

Matthew Fuchs matt@wdi.disney.com
Wed, 5 Jun 96 14:48:32 PDT

Giuliano:

This is essentially a restatement of the algorithm I presented at IWMM
'95 last September.  The paper, "Garbage Collection on an Open
Network", is in LNCS 986 or is accessible from my Web page (and in my
Disseration).  For independent work, you've done a good job.  Sorry -
I always hate being scooped.

If you look at my paper, you'll see I added a few wrinkles to handle
deadlock, when to run the algorithm, and getting all the additional
garbage out of the inverse trace.  I also recommend you look at the
paper by Maheshwar and Liskov, which has a decentralized algorithm for
forward tracing, but which requires mobility.  Contact me if you have
any questions.

If you (or anyone else) are interested in implementing an inverse
tracing algorithm, let me know.

Good Luck,

Matthew Fuchs
matt@wdi.disney.com