[gclist] FAQ advice

Tom Tromey tromey@creche.cygnus.com
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 12:00:57 -0700

David> The (major) question I have is, is html the way to go?

A question everyone asks themselves at some point or another.

If editing HTML doesn't drive you insane, then I think you should go
for it.  There are probably tools to convert HTML into plain text, for
those without web access.  For those of us with web access, HTML is
pretty nice.

I personally like Texinfo, too.  It can be printed nicely, and
converted to HTML, info or plain text.  But that is a whole 'nuther
religious war...

David> Minor question -- if I actually want to see a "<" ">" in an HTML
David> document (as in <chase@centerline.com>), how do I do that?  I've
David> been unable to locate this information in the HTML book that I've
David> got. (replies to this question need not go to the entire list.)

Use ``&lt;'' and ``&gt;''.  These are called "entities".  Similar
things exist for most of the non-ascii Latin-1 characters (eg
``&uuml;'' for u-umlaut).

Tom
--
tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom