[gclist] Web hosts for the FAQ

David Chase chase@centerline.com
Mon, 04 Mar 96 13:49:08 EST

> We'd like to offer to host the GC FAQ at Harlequin's WWW servers in both
> the USA and the UK, and other sites (http://www.harlequin.com/ and
> http://www.harlequin.co.uk/).

I've got no objections to this, though the FAQ itself is still being
hacked on (it picked up lots of formatting over the weekend, still
needs some content under a couple of headings, plus it needs a brief
TOC at the top).  I tested access to it over a slow link (~1K/second)
and it wasn't terrible, yet.  I'd love to be able to add illustrations,
but that might have to wait (what's the most common encoding for
line-drawings? What works with most browsers?)

> We could pick out, say, the ten most influential and
> ground-breaking papers and translate them to HTML.

I suggest Baker's CACM real-time GC paper (obviously).  I've also
found that to be the most lucid explanation of the basic copying-
compacting collector.

Boehm and Weiser's paper in conservative collection is another good
one, and I still recall reading about Bartlett's conservative-compacting
collector.

That leaves seven more :-).  I'd probably pick one of the treadmill
papers, too.  I've got a real soft spot for Stoye's one-bit reference-counting
paper.  People are quick to discount reference-counting, but it has
its uses, and it doesn't hurt to point that out.

One problem with some of these choices is that they aren't necessarily
the first, but they are often the most well-written, or the most
well-known.

David Chase