[gclist] Web hosts for the FAQ

Richard Jones R.E.Jones@ukc.ac.uk
Tue, 05 Mar 1996 10:46:20 +0000

>> We could pick out, say, the ten most influential and
>> ground-breaking papers and translate them to HTML.
>
>I suggest Baker's CACM real-time GC paper (obviously).  I've also
>found that to be the most lucid explanation of the basic copying-
>compacting collector.
>
>Boehm and Weiser's paper in conservative collection is another good
>one, and I still recall reading about Bartlett's conservative-compacting
>collector.
>
>That leaves seven more :-).  I'd probably pick one of the treadmill
>papers, too.  I've got a real soft spot for Stoye's one-bit reference-counting
>
>paper.  People are quick to discount reference-counting, but it has
>its uses, and it doesn't hurt to point that out.

Deferred reference counting is also a must have (Deutsch & Bobrow)

Generational GC (I'd suggest Ungar's paper rather than Liebermann & Hewitt)

For some applications, a compacting collector that preserves allocation order
is important, so how about a mark-compact paper? I'd suggest Jonkers rather
than Morris.

Appel-Ellis-Li for a pagewise black-only read-barrier supported by the OS.

GC for C++ is a perennial topic. I'd recommend the Ellis-Detlefs proposals as
they address the requirements well although they do not mandate an
implementation.

Richard Jones

Computing Laboratory                           Room SW107
University of Kent at Canterbury               Telephone: 01227 764000 ext.7943
Canterbury,                                               01227 827943 (direct)
CT2 7NF, U.K.                                  FAX: 01227 762811