[gclist] Finalizer flame wars. The real source of the disagreement.

Charles Fiterman cef@geode.geodesic.com
Tue, 14 May 1996 07:49:06 -0500

> Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 09:47:03 +0100
> From: Nick Barnes <nickb@harlequin.co.uk>
>
> > Issac Azmov described the solar system as the Sun Jupiter and debris.
> > The world of operating systems is MSDOS and debris.
>
> If you consider that the solar system is just the Sun and debris, and
> analogize to software $ sales, then MSDOS probably fits the picture.
> If you are prepared to add Jupiter (at ~0.1% of solar mass), then your
> analogy has to include Win32, MacOS 7, SunOS, MVS, VMS, and probably a
> host more.

I wouldn't add Win32 because of its relationship to MSDOS. Anyway we sell
to Win3.1, Windows NT, Windows 95 all of which I regard as MSDOS with
a few minor if() statements. The sime .lib files fit all. We also sell
to Solaris and Sunos and even OS/2. But the universe is MSDOS and debris.