Re[2]: [gclist] Reference counting on the fingers of one thu

Colvin, Greg Greg@imr.imrgold.com
Mon, 13 Jan 97 11:32:01

The C++ draft has an auto_ptr template with semantics rather like your
one-thumb approach.  As the proposer of that class I don't mind saying that
it was not really a success -- mainly due to obscure interactions between
assignment, temporaries, and constness -- but the idea might be workable in
another language.  I don't see it as a replacement for garbage collection,
but just as an idiom that makes gc unnecessary for those programs that can
be expressed in that idiom.

Greg Colvin
greg@imrgold.com