[gclist] DSM and GC

Patrick Panke panke@rocketmail.com
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 06:47:45 -0700 (PDT)

---Xavier Blondel <Xavier.Blondel@inria.fr> wrote:

> >Hi everybody,
>

> Hello!
>
> >I'm working on a project at my university, and
> >therefore have to implement a distributed garbage
> >collection algorithm that collects objects in a
> >shared memory environment.
> >
> >Ideally it should have the following prperties:
>

> As should any DGC have ;-)
>
> [...]
>

> >I couldn't find anything appropriate online so far.
> >
> >Any tips, ideas, references ?
> >

> You can have a look at Larchant:
> http://www-sor.inria.fr/projects/larchant/
> http://www-sor.inria.fr/publi/MDCSGC_ecoop98.html

Done, but seems completely unefficient.
"While theoretically complete, this strategy is
extremely inefficient. [...] We plan to implement
only the locality based heuristic..."

> and at PerDiS:
> http://www.perdis.esprit.ec.org/
> more precisely:
> http://www-sor.inria.fr/publi/PPCS_oopsla97.html

uses the same GC-algoritm as Larchant

> And if you get bored with INRIA-SOR stuff ;-), you
can still have a look at:

http://stork.ukc.ac.uk/computer_science/Html/Jones/gc.html

> There must be something about DGC in the FAQ (even
though I did not manage
> to retrieve it...)
This was one of the first docs I read, but it does
not really explore distributed GC with replicated
Objects;
only says reference counting / listing.

Doesn't reference counting/listing involve keeping a
global count/list?
Because a reference can be destroyed on a different
computer than it was created, therefore leaving the
local counts in an inconsistent state.

Any ideas?
How do I collect replicas of the object?

Thanks,
  Patrick