[gclist] 1 doubt about Boehm's Garbage Collector. (fwd)

Charles Fiterman cef@geodesic.com
Tue, 07 Jul 1998 13:42:08 -0500

At 04:01 AM 7/8/98 +1000, you wrote:

>On 07-Jul-1998, Neal M Gafter <<neal.gafter@Eng.Sun.COM> wrote:

>> ... Geodesic

>> Systems' Great Circle technology, which is a descendent of Boehm's

>> collector.

>Can someone please confirm, deny, or otherwise elucidate that

>historical detail for me?  I know that Great Circle uses conservative

>collection, but I'm curious as to whether the code in Great Circle

>really was forked off from an old version of the Boehm collector, or

>whether it was written from scratch.

It absolutly forked off and has comments in public headers

saying so. But the amount of new code exceeds the old code.

For example we read a variety of debug info to annotate

things like leak reports. We connect to web brousers and

provide info on storage use.

Charles Fiterman		  Geodesic Systems

414 North Orleans Suite 410	  Phone 312 832 1221 x223

Chicago IL 60610-4418           FAX   312 832 1230

				  http://www.geodesic.com

</color>If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then

programming must be the process of putting them in.  -Dykstra