[gclist] Computing Surveys article, DMOS, and age-based gc

Eliot Moss moss@emperor.cs.umass.edu
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:45:31 -0500 (EST)

Well, I hesitated to say anything, but finally decided to write. I should make
clear that I have not read the article, but have flipped through it. Mainly I
was disappointed that our recent work on Distributed Mature Object Space was
not included at all, even though it was reported at OOPSLA '97, whereas
various earlier workshop venue papers of ours were included. (We're still
trying to find the right "spin" on DMOS for archival publication :-).)

To see some of this work, go to http://www-ppg.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/Publications.
Particularly relevant links are labeled "Where have all the pointer gone?",
"Garbage Collecting the World: One Car at a Time", "Training Distributed
Garbage: The DMOS Collector", and "PMOS: A Complete and Coarse-Grained
Incremental Garbage Collector for Persistent Object Stores". The original
Mature Object Space paper may be found at
        ftp://ftp.cs.umass.edu/pub/osl/papers/iwmm92.ps.Z.

Finally, I would commend to this group some very exciting new work presented
in the PhD dissertation of Darko Stefanovic. The technique is called Age-Based
Garbage Collection. The dissertation (which is LARGE because of MANY graphs
(you are WARNED!)) can be found at http://www.cs.umass.edu/~stefanov.

Cheers --					Eliot
J. Eliot B. Moss, Associate Professor      http://www.cs.umass.edu/~moss   www
Computer Science Department, LGRC          +1-413-545-4206               voice
University of Massachusetts, Box 34610     +1-413-545-1249                 fax
Amherst MA  01003-4610  USA                moss@cs.umass.edu             email