[gclist] Needed: Copy of Rovner's PARC Tech Report CSL-84-7

David Chase chase@WORLD.STD.COM
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:54:07 -0400

At 02:51 AM 10/23/00 -0500, Manoj Plakal wrote:
>I'm looking for a copy of this Xerox PARC Tech-Report:
>
>   Rovner, Paul. On Adding Garbage Collection and Runtime Types to a
>   Strongly-Typed, Statically Checked, Concurrent Language, Report CSL-84-7,
>   Xerox Palo Alto Research Center.
>
>   (I assume this contains a description of the ref-counting used in
>    a Cedar or Mesa implementation).

>This doesn't seem to be available in the local university library and it's
>not on-line at PARC's web site. PARC's webmaster hasn't replied to
>an e-mail I sent asking about the TR.

>Is there any way I can get hold of this TR? If someone on this
>list has this TR, could they send me an electronic copy, or in the
>worst case, fax me a photocopy?

I doubt it's available electronically.  You also need a copy of
Deutsch and Bobrow's paper on GC in Interlisp.  I'm pretty sure
that I have copies of these articles (because I'm a packrat) but
I'm not entirely sure where I put them (because I'm a packrat).
If a second-hand summary of their contents would help you, I put
a deleted chapter from my dissertation on the web; it explains
how they work, at least as I understood it at the time.  See
    http://world.std.com/~chase/chapter2.pdf
If that's not good enough, say so, and I'll go looking for them.
Also, I have since heard that there's a bug in Brownbridge's cyclic
reference counting collection (also summarized there), but I
don't know what it is.

David Chase
chase@naturalbridge.com