[gclist] autoconf for Boehm-Demers-Weiser gc?

Ken MacLeod ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us
04 Jan 2001 13:27:13 -0600

Has autoconf ever been discussed for use in the Boehm-Demers-Weiser GC
source distribution?

The project I'm working on has a dependency on GC (naturally ;-) and,
for the most common case, will require the .so to be installed in a
searchable path before use.

While GC has an excellent make setup, one that I found relatively
easy, my project is geared towards users who may not find it quite so
easy.  The "next level" that I'd like to see, that I think the user's
of my project would be more comfortable with, is the standard autoconf
style install: ./configure; make test; make install

Minimal usage and support of autoconf would require only minor,
non-user visible*, changes in the Makefile at this point.  Automation
of certain aspects of the various README.*s could evolve later.

I can create the initial patch if that's a direction that can be
supported.

  -- Ken

(* non-user-visible means that current users of GC will not need to
change their existing install/update procedures.)