[gclist] autoconf for Boehm-Demers-Weiser gc?

Boehm, Hans hans_boehm@hp.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:53:10 -0800

I would like to see this happen, ideally in a way that makes it transparent
to build procedures that just invoke "make", and definitely in a way that
doesn't break the non-Unix build procedures (at least not any more than they
already are broken).  It has been done partially as part of libgcj, which is
now part of gcc (see http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/egcs/boehm-gc/ ).

This could potentially solve a number of problems, e.g. automatically
locating a working compiler and assembler, and providing a cleaner way to
deal with ath least the more important configuration options.  It probably
can't replace gcconfig.h, since that requires knowledge about whether
certain OS features are present on all versions, etc.

Unfortunately, it looks like previous volunteers deserted this project when
they started looking at the details.  I haven't yet found the time, and I'm
not an autoconf/automake expert.  (I think Tom Tromey did the gcj work.)

Hans