[gclist] Real-Time GC for high-level languages

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:19:47 +0100

Dear GC Listers,
   I'm looking for real-time memory management solutions so as to develop
embedded software using high-level languages. Is there a compendium listing
whatever language implementations, GC libraries, etc, provide real-time
behavior, preferrably hard real-time? My employer is mostly interested
in free software, although we're also interested in knowing what
proprietary is available. We're also possibly interested in real-time
malloc/free.

Notably, the Boehm GC, the RScheme GC (one of them), the Erlang GC (which?)
are said to be "soft real-time". What does that mean? When do they fail?
What if paging is disabled: will that make them "hard real-time"?
What high-level language implementation can boast about real-time latency?

I have a feeling this is a FAQ. The FAQ doesn't seem to be maintained,
however and its links are out of date.

Best regards,

A programming language is low level
when its programs require attention to the irrelevant.
	-- Alan Perlis