[gclist] Real-Time GC for high-level languages

Krishnaswami, Neel neelk@cswcasa.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:44:10 -0500

Francois-Rene Rideau [mailto:fare@tunes.org] wrote:

> Dear GC Listers,
> I'm looking for real-time memory management solutions so
> as to develop embedded software using high-level languages. Is
> there a compendium listing whatever language implementations,
> GC libraries, etc, provide real-time behavior, preferrably hard
> real-time? My employer is mostly interested in free software,
> although we're also interested in knowing what proprietary is
> available. We're also possibly interested in real-time malloc/free.

The MLKit Standard ML compiler has a region-based memory allocator
that does no pointer tracing, so there are no unbounded pauses. (I
think regions are typically called "arenas" by C programmers.) You
can find the compiler at:

  http://www.it-c.dk/research/mlkit/

and there are also a number of papers describing the technique. The
developers advertise realtime programming as a possible application
domain for their compiler. However, I've never done any realtime
programming so I can't really evaluate the claim.

--
Neel Krishnaswami
neelk@cswcasa.com