[gclist] Real-Time GC for high-level languages

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:48:29 +0100

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 09:48:26AM -0800, Jim Larson wrote:
> The Open-Source Erlang implementation achieves soft real-time GC [...]
> The Erlang GC may exhibit chronic pauses if too much data is live
> in a single process.  However, the Erlang programming style
> discourages this from happening.
Ok. Thanks for the whole explanation (including the snipped part).
In practice, what kind of "soft-real-time" constraints are met by
Erlang-deployed systems? And what impact does management of the shared
data (bulk as well as system management information about processes)
have on the real-time response?

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 12:56:37PM -0500, David Chase wrote:
> Another thing to consider is whether or not there are any constraints
> on the memory-related behavior of the programs that you are running.
> If, for instance, you can tell me that it never has more than X Mb
> of live memory, then I can tell you how long a straightforward
> copying-compacting collection will take (for small sets of data,
> they are fast) after making some measurements.
So that actually this property is not specific to Erlang,
only the Erlang programming style specifically takes advantage of it
in achieving real-time behavior.

> On the other hand, if you've got no constraints on your running
> program, you will find your hard-real-time GC choices exceedingly
> limited.
Assuming this is the case, what does that amount to?

Also are there any high-level language compilers that do automatic
memory management accross several arena, as opposed to just static memory
management accross several arena (as is done in the ML-Kit with region)?
I.e. each arena having a different read/write/lock/allocate/free protocol,
maybe programmably so? I suppose that once again, Erlang, with message
passing accross separate processes, is mostly in that case.

> The FAQ is only slightly maintained.  I will see what I can do about its
> links.  Are you, perhaps, volunteering to help? :-)
Sure, especially since you say you're using CVS.

Thanks to all those who responded and will respond.
Yours freely,

They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the
Wright brothers.  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
		-- Carl Sagan