[gclist] Real-Time GC for high-level languages

Dave Munro dave@cs.adelaide.edu.au
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 14:23:44 +1030

At 3:20 PM +0000 30/1/01, Andrew Cheadle wrote:
>I seem to remember a theoretical paper:
>  Guy E. Blelloch, Perry Cheng: On Bounding Time and Space for
>Multiprocessor Garbage Collection. PLDI 1999: 104-117
>
>which makes claims of bounded pause times. I believe, but I'm not sure,
>that Perry Cheng was looking at implementing the techniques mentioned in
>the above paper in the TILT ML compiler:

Just a note to say that William Brodie-Tyrrell, one of my students,
implemented a version of the Blelloch and Cheng bounded GC which we
reported in

Vaughan, Francis A., Brodie-Tyrrell, William F., Falkner, Katrina E.
and Munro, David S., "Bounded Parallel Garbage
Collection:Implementation and Adaptation", To appear in Proceedings
of 7th Australian Parallel and Real Time PART'2000 Sydney.

This can be picked up from
http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/users/jacaranda/publications.html

Cheers

Dave

David Munro                           _--_|\    phone:  +61 8 8303 6173
Department of Computer Science,      /      \   fax:    +61 8 8303 4366
University of Adelaide,              \_.--*_/
South Australia 5005                       v
Australia
http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/~dave