[gclist] lifetime distributions

Parker, Mike mparker@CaseServices.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:59:46 -0600

> Kenjiro Taura writes:
>
> Can anybody provide us with data on object lifetime distribution?  or
> direct us to any such data available online or kind persons off the
> list? I would appreciate very much if I can use such data for our
> research purpose.

Zorn published a couple of frequently-cited papers that involved this
subject back in the late 80's - early 90's timeframe.  I've listed
some of the relevant papers from the CU Tech Report library, but the
ACM Digital Library will also have most of these in their final
published form.

The papers "Empirical Measurements of Six Allocation-intensive C
Programs", "Memory Allocation Costs in Large C and C++ Programs", and
"Quantifying Behavioral Differences Between C and C++ Programs" in
particular seem to be frequently cited in the literature.

CU-CS-528-91 The Effect of Garbage Collection on Cache Performance
Benjamin G. Zorn

CU-CS-573-92 The Measured Cost of Conservative Garbage Collection
Benjamin G. Zorn

CU-CS-602-92 CustoMalloc: Efficient Synthesized Memory Allocators
Dirk C. Grunwald and Benjamin G. Zorn

CU-CS-603-92 Evaluating Models of Memory Allocation
Dirk C. Grunwald and Benjamin G. Zorn

CU-CS-604-92 Empirical Measurements of Six Allocation-intensive C Programs
Benjamin G. Zorn and Dirk C. Grunwald

CU-CS-653-93 The Performance of Partitioned Garbage Collection in Object Databases
Jonathan E. Cook, Alexander L. Wolf and Benjamin G. Zorn

CU-CS-659-93 Garbage Collection Using a Dynamic Threatening Boundary
David A. Barrett and Benjamin G. Zorn

CU-CS-665-93 Memory Allocation Costs in Large C and C++ Programs
David Detlefs, Al Dosser and Benjamin G. Zorn

CU-CS-698-94 Quantifying Behavioral Differences Between C and C++ Programs
Bradley G. Calder, Dirk C. Grunwald and Benjamin G. Zorn

CU-CS-758-94 Effectively Controlling Garbage Collection Rates in Object Databases
Jonathan E. Cook, Artur W. Klauser, Alexander L. Wolf and Benjamin G. Zorn

CU-CS-826-97 Predicting References to Dynamically Allocated Objects
Matthew L. Seidl and Benjamin G. Zorn

CU-CS-827-97 Choosing Program Collections for Performance Evaluation Experiments
Judith A. Stafford and Benjamin G. Zorn

CU-CS-893-99 Implementing Heap-Object Behavior Prediction Efficiently and Effectively
Matthew L. Seidl and Benjamin G. Zorn