[gclist] Sharing GC resources between applications

Matthew Hertz hertz at cs.umass.edu
Tue Mar 22 08:54:30 PST 2005

Robin,
   While I am not Dr. Berger, I can answer these questions, also.

> 1. Will you make your bookmarking collector software available?

Currently, we are implementing additional improvements and re-running
experiments for the PLDI camera-ready copy deadline. Once this is
complete, our plan is to donate the garbage collection and runtime
system code to the Jikes RVM and, hopefully, make it available via their
CVS tree.  We will also make the Linux patch available via a web page,
while working on incorporating into the Linux source.

> 2. Would it be hard to port the bookmarking collector to C so that it
> can be used with .NET and other VM based platforms as well?

As part of the Jikes RVM, BC is written in Java and should be relative
straightforward to rewrite in C.

Cooperation with the OS is one of the keys to the bookmarking
collector's good paging performance.  While we created a communication
path in Linux (allowing a full implementation of BC in Mono), I am not
sure how easy it would be to enable this communication for .NET.

> 3. Is the bookmarking collector approach still viable if I want to run
> 10s or 100s of virtual machines simultaneously?

I have not tried running that many simultaneous VMs yet.  While I cannot
guarantee anything, nothing in my experiments suggest that BC will have
any problems in that environment.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Matthew Hertz
hertz at cs.umass.edu
http://www.cs.umass.edu/~hertz