[gclist] Sharing GC resources between applications

Robin Boerdijk robin_boerdijk at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 05:41:22 PST 2005

--- "David F. Bacon" <dfb at watson.ibm.com> wrote:
> Isolates are designed so that they can be implemented within a single
> JVM, I
> believe, largely because fork() may not exist on embedded devices.
> So
> modulo the reliability problems, I wouldn't write them off.

This is getting a bit off-topic, but my concern with Isolates and the
MVM is exactly that they are designed to operate in a single process.
It does not seem to be designed for applications that use embedded JVMs
in a multi-process environment using JNI.

For example, suppose that a Web server written in C dispatches HTTP
requests to handler methods written in Java. For performance and
reliability reasons, this Web server starts multiple child processes
for handling HTTP requests, each with its own embedded JVM. Isolates
designed to operate in a single process do not really help here.

It seems to me that Isolates are designed with pure Java applications
in mind (for example J2EE), not applications in which Java does not
play the main() role.

Cheers,
Robin.