[LispM] Re: Outstanding Meroko bugs and a question of my own

Robert Swindells rjs at fdy2.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 03:27:41 PDT 2005

nyef wrote:
>Robert Swindells writes:
>> nyef wrote:

>>>Yeah, a while ago. I haven't released a new version in ages, though.
>>
>> Any chance of a tarball ?

>Probably this weekend, or maybe Friday. It's obvious to me at this point
>that I'm not going to get another test to pass just yet unless it's the
>I-Memory test, and that'll probably take some dumb luck.

Whenever you are ready.

I will play with usim first.

>On the upside, it now passes all of EXPT save the I-Memory, Event Posting,
>and Memory Cycle Abort tests. On the downside, the 8th set of VMA tests are
>scary, and implied un-fun things about the MMU. I -really- wish the MMU were
>better documented, as the solution I hit upon is fairly shaky feeling.

Is there anything you can learn from Hummingbird that would help ?

>> I am going to get back into lisp and lispm hacking full time from
>> today onwards.

>Cool. You still have an mX board, right? I'm thinking that maybe after we
>get Raven emulated properly we go on to Hummingbird.

I have still got the mx, I never got it to boot though. It was
probably most valuable as a way for me to get a complete Hummingbird
software tree.

I would like to see Hummingbird emulated as well.

A longer term plan is to try and do a Hummingbird replica in VHDL.

How good is the disassembler in Nevermore now ?

One advantage that usim has now is that the microcode source is
available.  This would make it easier to define some "back door"
instructions that call down to the underlying operating system in a
similar way to how guest operating systems under VMWare and MOL work.

Robert Swindells