[LispM] Explorer tapes?

Robert Swindells rjs at fdy2.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 16:50:30 PDT 2013

Daniel Seagraves wrote:
>Did anyone ever find or image any Explorer software tapes? Someone
>seems to have released the OS source to the public, so it shouldn't be
>a problem to share them around now.

I presume you have got the zip file with the OS source from archive.org.

One of the source files for NFS looks to be truncated but the rest
seems fine including the microcode source and assembler.

There were some tape images posted to one of the Explorer emulation
mailing lists about 10 years ago.

I have:

2537110-0001F_bootRel6.0_3errs.
2537119-0001D_expl3.0_tcpIP.tap
2537110-003F_visidocRev6.0.tap
2537111-001H_ExplDiagsR2.2.0.ta

The main one that looks interesting to me is the visidoc one as it isn't
included in the big zip file.

I had a go at extracting them using the tapeutils tools that Brad
Parker used with the MIT stuff but the file metadata is encoded in a
LispM specific way.

I had some thoughts on how to emulate the tape drive, either in Meroko
or in the CADR emulator but haven't done anything yet.

Sorry to hear about your health problems.

Robert Swindells