[LispM] Looking for pointers on some finer aspects of VLM

Dan Lentz danlentz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 09:26:07 PDT 2016

I've been enjoying learning about Genera for the past few weeks and have a
couple of nice, stable VLM instances I've been hosting under both
vmware/ubuntu8.04 and directly on a modern ec2/ubuntu14.04 instance.

Q1 -- As has been noted before, the system is usable after booting and
"define site" and, at least in the case of vmware, there is also the
ability to save the entire (x86) machine state.  Outside of that, however,
particularly on my (nice, fast...) ec2 vlm, I'd really like to persist
state, for example of statice dbfs filesystems.  Is this simply a matter of
restoring the appropriate namespace files into sys:site; at the end of my
init script and then "Reset Network"?  I thought briefly about making the
vmware instance a namespace server, however i'm not certain if there is
really even a valid way to define this, since all VLM instances are
hardwired to 10.0.0.2 and would appear to require separate sites.

Q2 -- I've been playing somewhat unsuccessfully with the included cl-http
67.91 server.  Is anyone familiar with the steps necessary to configure the
server in the VLM?  The issue I'm seeing is that when I define and export a
simple computed url, say "http://10.0.0.2/demo.html" and then hit that with
curl from the linux host, i get

Error: CLI::CASE-FAILURE
Error Report: NIL fell through CONDITIONS:ETYPECASE expression
Wanted one of (STRING CONS)

I'd like to resolve this in order to work through a tutorial such as
http://clhttp.plasticki.com -- which appears to concern a more recent
cl-http, but hopefully will still be basically applicable.

As an aside:  this is VLM is fantastic.  Thanks!