[LispM] Looking for pointers on some finer aspects of VLM

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Mon Apr 4 01:56:33 PDT 2016

   Q1 -- As has been noted before, the system is usable after booting
   and "define site" and, at least in the case of vmware, there is
   also the ability to save the entire (x86) machine state.  Outside
   of that, however, particularly on my (nice, fast...)  ec2 vlm, I'd
   really like to persist state, for example of statice dbfs
   filesystems.

Why can't you just use a file server for persistant data?  Or are you
looking for a database? Then Statice could do the job.  Getting
Statice up and running is quite simple; load relevant translations and
load the system.

     Is this simply a matter of restoring the appropriate namespace
   files into sys:site; at the end of my init script and then "Reset
   Network"?  I thought briefly about making the vmware instance a
   namespace server, however i'm not certain if there is really even a
   valid way to define this, since all VLM instances are hardwired to
   10.0.0.2 and would appear to require separate sites.

Making the host machine (I assume that is what you mean) the namespace
server would involve writing some code for doing what a namespace
server does.  Why not let VLM be the namespace server?  What is the
goal exactly?

   Error: CLI::CASE-FAILURE
   Error Report: NIL fell through CONDITIONS:ETYPECASE expression
   Wanted one of (STRING CONS)

Can you post a backtrace?