[LispM] Genera 8.3 Mouse Input Editing

Doug F doug-lispmlist at dpf.cc
Mon Jun 13 17:02:23 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I recently acquired an XL1201, which after some effort I have gotten to boot and almost work properly. A few of the left side modifier keys don't work (Model 3600 keyboard), but the corresponding ones on the right do. Also, the mouse X-axis doesn't work; the pointer only moves vertically. (Logitech  P7-3F-SZ)

I was thinking I could write a temporary hack (while trying to fix or find a new mouse) that would work like this: holding down some key (maybe SYMBOL?) would make the Y mouse axis act as the X mouse axis. This isn't my idea, but seemed like a good challenge.

It would be terribly inconvenient for anything requiring the mouse, but at least it would be in theory, usable.

I couldn't figure out how to use the Documentation Browser without the mouse, though, so I welcome pointers on how I can write this - or where I could look in it or in Bitsavers documentation. In the alternative, if you've done this in the past, I would be happy to type it in myself. :)

Also, does anyone have schematics on how the keyboard is wired up, and/or spec sheets on the keys themselves? I was wondering about desoldering the right-side keys and putting them on the left, but the thing is built like a rock and has a metal cover literally riveted to the PCB so I can't see very much.

I've torn both items down and found no obvious mechanical nor electrical defects. The cable on the mouse has full continuity on all lines. I don't have an IR-capable camera so I couldn't test if the two IR LEDs were working, and I don't know how to test a phototransistor.

Thanks,

Doug