[LispM] Genera 8.3 Mouse Input Editing

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Mon Jun 13 23:16:32 PDT 2016

   It would be terribly inconvenient for anything requiring the mouse,
   but at least it would be in theory, usable.

Genera, and Lisp Machines in general are very keyboard friendly.

   I couldn't figure out how to use the Documentation Browser without
   the mouse, though, so I welcome pointers on how I can write this -
   or where I could look in it or in Bitsavers documentation. In the
   alternative, if you've done this in the past, I would be happy to
   type it in myself. :)

Type "Show " hit C-? or similar to get a list of completions.

   Also, does anyone have schematics on how the keyboard is wired up,
   and/or spec sheets on the keys themselves? I was wondering about
   desoldering the right-side keys and putting them on the left, but
   the thing is built like a rock and has a metal cover literally
   riveted to the PCB so I can't see very much.

Don't mess with the keyboard please, they are neither built nor sold
nor available.  Clean the keyboard with IPA, check the traces and
check that the microswitches work; possibly clean them with some
contact cleaner.  A simple continuity test should suffice, if it still
messes it most prolly is something else.

   I've torn both items down and found no obvious mechanical nor
   electrical defects. The cable on the mouse has full continuity on
   all lines. I don't have an IR-capable camera so I couldn't test if
   the two IR LEDs were working, and I don't know how to test a
   phototransistor.

Connect the mouse to power (say computer), then check the signals on
the mouse using a DMM.

All of these are non-destructive operations, please keep it that way.