Using CL with Linux or Hurd

David Gadbois gadbois@cyc.com
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 07:44:18 -0500 (CDT)

   From: Marcus Daniels <marcus@sysc.pdx.edu>
   Date: 25 Apr 1997 18:19:15 -0700

   As I understand David Gadbois, he's not talking about layering this
   LispOS over a microkernel or oskit.  What I understand him to mean
   is building up an OS around Lisp code *only*.  Even if I'm
   misunderstanding him, this should be enumerated as another option.

Right, I'd like to see Lisp all the way down.  But, as a practical
matter, building a working system first on top of Flux OS or the HURD and
then replacing things downwards seems like a great approach.

(One thing to consider is that the x86 is almost self-virtualizable.
Are there any packages for running a virtual OS on top of one of the
freeware ones?  That sure would speed dvelopment.)

It would be cool to have a great Lisp development environment that
sits on top of existing OSes.  In fact, you can run out and buy one
right now.  Working on a freeware one will help everybody.

This project encompasses a huge range of functionality.  It should be
possible to tear off the upper layers and use them elsewhere for a
variety of purposes.

--David Gadbois