two co-existing projects

Richard Coleman coleman@math.gatech.edu
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 21:19:19 -0400

>   I agree with this. I just don't think CMU-CL is quite ready for our
> needs yet. I doesn't have threads yet and it hasn't been running on
> Intel boxes all that long. I'd prefer that we'd wait a while before
> we'd commit to it. Since ACL is free and robust, we can start a lot of
> efforts now, especially in the apps area. Once CMU-CL has threads,
> then we could switch to it. But threads really are nice to have for an
> OS and the OS services, such as networking, file systems, and
> windowing system, all need to be thread safe. We can begin those now
> with ACL.  We also don't have any commitments from the CMU-CL on Intel
> guys although I'd be surprised if they weren't interested.

You may be right about CMU-CL, but I'm not crazy about starting this
with a CL we don't have source for.  Also, if we are going to have to
add threads to CMU-CL (or whatever we choose), we might as well started
doing this at the beginning.

This can proceed in parallel with the other work, but should be
started at the beginning.

Richard Coleman
coleman@math.gatech.edu