two co-existing projects

Marcus G. Daniels marcus@cathcart.sysc.pdx.edu
28 Apr 1997 19:58:40 -0700

PS>      How about GNU CL? Nobody mentioned that. Is the GPL a
PS> problem? What are the goals of our Lisp OS future copyright issue.

There is a fatal technical problem with using GNU CL for LispOS: it
uses a C compiler to generate code. Also, like CLISP, there is
a significant amount GNU CL is written in C.  As far as Common Lisp is
concerned, I think CMU CL is the way to go, no question about it.

Incidentally, GCL is under the GNU LGPL, a much weaker license than
the GPL (CLISP uses the GPL).  CMU CL is in the public domain.