CMU-CL and lispOS

Richard Coleman coleman@math.gatech.edu
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 23:13:05 -0400

> PS>      How about GNU CL? Nobody mentioned that. Is the GPL a
> PS> problem? What are the goals of our Lisp OS future copyright issue.
>
> There is a fatal technical problem with using GNU CL for LispOS: it
> uses a C compiler to generate code. Also, like CLISP, there is
> a significant amount GNU CL is written in C.  As far as Common Lisp is
> concerned, I think CMU CL is the way to go, no question about it.
>
> Incidentally, GCL is under the GNU LGPL, a much weaker license than
> the GPL (CLISP uses the GPL).  CMU CL is in the public domain.

For this project, I think a fairly liberal license is a good idea.
A liberal version of the BSD license maybe....

So it sounds to me, that CMU-CL on top of a minimal Linux setup
has the most support.

I think someone should contact the CMU-CL folks and see what
their plans are.

Richard Coleman
coleman@math.gatech.edu