thinking about virtual machines

Pierpaolo Bernardi bernardp@cli.di.unipi.it
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 15:25:45 +0200 (MET DST)

   From: "Michael Korns" <mkorns@ix.netcom.com>
   Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 09:11:13 -0700

   Second, we must start with the Java VM standard and extend (not alter it).
   Our LVM must be a superset of  the Java VM. DO NOT FIGHT THEM, INCLUDE AND
   SUPERCEDE THEM!! All the built up Java support will benefit us as well
   because our LVM will run Java applets without alteration. All we need is
   one binding of our LVM or JIT translator of our VM which runs Java applets
   faster!

There's no need to cripple the foundation of a lispos because of java.
Java may eventually be built on top of lisp, not below.
(I'm at present working on such a project).

Re the lispos philosophy, I fully agree with the views expressed by
David Gadbois and Marco Antoniotti.

Re the VM, I think it should be a core lisp on which scheme,
common lisp, elisp, and new lisp variants may be built efficiently.

http://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/CritLisp.html

contains a lot of useful suggestions.

Dwight Hughes <dhughes@intellinet.com> writes:

> As for running Java bytecodes on and with the LispVM - YUCK!, and yet
> again YUCK! -- however, getting a separate JavaVM to run within the
> *true* LispOS environment shouldn't be any big deal. Why screw up
> everybody and everything to force support of Java bytecodes directly?

Couldn't agree more.

Pierpaolo Bernardi.