LispOS directly on hardware or on Unix kernel?

Fare Rideau rideau@ens.fr
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:09:53 +0200 (MET DST)

>>The same applies for Video card drivers. I see no other change to get
>>these than to run the X11 server of XFree86.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to -- on the PC implementation of a Lisp OS, or
> indeed on any implementation for which Linux already exists -- define some
> sort of driver compatibility layer?  That way, one could use the XFree86
> video drivers and Linux hardware drivers without having to have the whole
> Unix bag o' crap in there.

Answer: the Linux GGI project (_not_ CGI): Generic Graphics Interface.
http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/Review/OSes.html#GGI
It's not quite ready yet, and it's not a priority for LispOS,
so in the meantime, let's use X.

== Fare' -- rideau@ens.fr -- Franc,ois-Rene' Rideau -- DDa(.ng-Vu~ Ba^n ==
                TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System