First proposal: what should LispOS feel like?

Martin Cracauer cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:01:46 +0200 (MET DST)

> At 5:52 PM -0500 4/29/97, Mike McDonald wrote:
> >  Not me! I want access to everything on the system. I hate annoying
> >machines that think they can protect me from myself. Their
> >"protection" just gets in my way.
>
> Just log in as "Administrator" or whatever then, and give that user rights
> to do everything on your system.  I tend to think access control and
> authentication are necessary evils in today's world.
>
> (Though by all means "permission bits" and the concept of "root" should go
> away.  ACLs are where it's at, along with specific rights for
> administrative users.  Imagine an ISP that only wants to give "add user"
> rights instead of "do anything anywhere" rights to the highschoolers hired
> into day-to-day admin tasks...)

The `sudo` tool does just this.

It is a kludge in that it doesn't really integrate with Unix group's.

But in practice I found it to solve most problems the Unix groups
concept introduces.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>