First proposal: what should LispOS feel like?

Fare Rideau rideau@ens.fr
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:15:04 +0200 (MET DST)

> At 5:52 PM -0500 4/29/97, Mike McDonald wrote:
>>  Not me! I want access to everything on the system. I hate annoying
>>machines that think they can protect me from myself. Their
>>"protection" just gets in my way.
>
> Just log in as "Administrator" or whatever then, and give that user rights
> to do everything on your system.  I tend to think access control and
> authentication are necessary evils in today's world.

Nope. Static scoping is a necessary good. Access control SUCKS.
CLOS (or any real object system) can be used to implement
arbitrary access control (not stubborn finite keychecking stuff)
on top of static scoping, through filtering proxies and such.

The protection philosophy of LispOS should be
"what's in your scope is what you can access".
If you want to restrict access to a resource,
just do not export it to everyone's scope!
Duh -- fine grained access control!
See the Tunes project pages for more about that,
particularly

http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/Glossary.html#Protection

== Fare' -- rideau@ens.fr -- Franc,ois-Rene' Rideau -- DDa(.ng-Vu~ Ba^n ==
                TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System