Portable C library interface?

Thomas Fischbacher tf@another.gun.de
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:21:17 +0200

Hi there!

I've written a package that allows me to conveniently interface
all different kinds of C library routines; main reason to do so
was the rather braindead C interface of Allegro CL. And though this
package was written for ACL, I've put some effort in designing it
in a way so that it can be used with virtually any LISP supporting
calls to C code and virtually any Unix. (Excluding for example
GCL(ELF) for Linux, since this can't faslink.)

Though it needs some more testing, first experiments are very
promising. Next step will be to port it to CMU CL and non-Linux
platforms (the latter requiring only change of a few constants,
such as integer size, padding, etc.)

Clearly, since this package is designed to provide a usable C
interface portable across many different brands of Unix and
LISP implementations, and since CMU CL's alien interface is
among the most elaborate ones, some of the structure provided by
CMU CL will be lost. On the other hand, my package can do some
nice and quite unusual things. For example, every C typedef
has a direct representation.

Anybody out there who wants to help me with this project?

--
regards,

 Thomas Fischbacher               tf@another.gun.de