Position & proposal

Arthur A. Gleckler arthur@martigny.ai.mit.edu
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:14:15 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

|  Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 12:37:54 -0500
|  From: "William A. Barnett-Lewis" <wlewis@mailbag.com>
|  To: ET <emergent@eval-apply.com>
|  Cc: lispos@math.gatech.edu
|  Subject: Re: Position & proposal

|  Hmmm, this is certainly true, but I guess that a better way of
|  expressing my feelings might be to suggest that workstation and server
|  operating systems are, in fact, qualitativly different. Almost all
|  current operating systems - Linux/Unix, Novell, NT, OS2 -  are really
|  Network Operating Systems and less than ideal (to me) as workstation
|  operating systems.

What is a Network Operating System?  I've never seen it defined except
my marketroids.  What is the technical definition?  For that matter,
what is a workstation operating system?  I'm perfectly willing to
believe that there are reasonable technical definitions for these
terms.  I just haven't run into them yet.

Thanks!