Unidentified subject!

Luca Pisati pisati@nichimen.com
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:34:00 -0700

Mike McDonald wrote:

> >Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:12:23 +0200
> >From: Andreas Eder <are@laphroig.mch.sni.de>
> >To: lispos@math.gatech.edu
> >Subject: Unidentified subject!
> >
> >Mike McDonald:
> >> Would you support X for
> >>displaying remote apps? Or JAVA? Or HTML? How about all of those
> >>Windoze apps?
> >I would say: X       - certainly
> >            HTML    - sure
> >            JAVA    - maybe
> >            Windoze - certainly not
> >
> >I do think that we should support various standards, such as X for
> >example. The X protocol could certainly be implemented in Lisp in a
> >much nicer way than is currently done in the C implementations, After
> >all, it is just a protocol, so why not implemeent it in Lisp? And it
> >opens up the world to applications on other machines.
>
>   Supporting the X protocol certainly would be nice. It'd also be a
> lot of work. And we'd still need a native lisp windowing toolkit for
> the lisp apps to use. Another big task.

Don't think that a windowing system is _that_ big task ...

Expecially if you can start clean and you do not have
to provide back-compatibility and so on ...

We actually do have our GUI at Nichimen:

A small subset of X for Windowing system and events
OpenGL as the drawing library

Everything else is in our hands.

--
Luca Pisati		       Voice:	 (310) 577-0518
Nichimen Graphics	       Fax:	 (310) 577-0577