LispOS: LispEnv or Tunes?

Bill House bhouse@dazsi.com
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 12:51:06 -0700

Kelly Murray wrote:

[snip bit where BH rants about Ubiquity via the Browser]

> It is an excellent idea, but you've just shrunken up the
> people who can use your software by a massive amount.

How so? An ActiveX Scripting Engine implementation can migrate all over the
Web, without the need for anyone to make a Lisp-specific decision (if it's
free). Then, the issue is the applications that it enables (like mobile
_intelligent_ agents, etc.).

> Perhaps I should say (I think it is public knowledge)
> that Franz did this already.
> We have Lisp running inside Netscape browsers.  Who cares?  Nobody!

Cool! I have to admit that I've never read or heard about this until just now.
Could it be that Franz is spending its marketing dollar preaching to the choir,
instead of making new converts?  Perhaps ironically, I think you'll find that
the MS community is more likely to accept the new and unique (if it offers
functionality) -- they all have a vested interest in doing something _more_
than just Java/Netscape already does.

> I'll also mention that Microsoft has also done something similiar (i think)
> to what I'm talking about.  They have some alpha/beta/vaporware thing
> called "dynamic html", in which I believe html can be dynamically generated
> within the client itself.  They are figuring out how to bypass the JVM!

Dynamic HTML provides an object and event-driven programming model for HTML. It
has the potential to neutralize many of the benefits of client-side Java. A
LispOS Web server that leveraged this would be hot. A client-side LispVM that
included a persistent store and was able to speak Dynamic HTML would be a
killer adjunct to this server.

Bill House
--
http://www.dazsi.com