Web-Lisp? Oh no!

Paul Prescod papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 22:13:12 -0400

Mike McDonald wrote:
>   You guys need to talk to Phillip Greenspun
> (philg@mit.edu or http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/philg/index.html). He
> thinks HTML leaves a lot to be desired and that they should have
> started with TeX. (But hey, we gotta keep up the CS tradition of
> reinventing everything from scratch!) I should warn you that he's
> trying to make things better within the system at the moment.

I don't know if this is on topic, but it is at least as on topic as the
rest of the thread:

TeX? How that would render well in Lynx, to speech-to-text and to
braille? Actually, I can't find anything on the site that you mention
that indicates that they should have started with TeX, though there is a
page slamming HTML. For all of HTML's flaws, it is far ahead of TeX for
what it is supposed to do.

Also, HTML was not actually a reinvention. It is based upon a DTD that
is in the SGML standard itself. Only the large, complex monstrosity it
has grow into is a reinvention. For that you can blame Netscape, not the
fact that HTML came from SGML rather than TeX.

 Paul Prescod