NIL

Fare Rideau rideau@ens.fr
Thu, 1 May 1997 03:13:15 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear LispOS hackers,

In his GNU (GNU's Not Unix) Manifesto,
RMS explains that when he began his free software project,
he had to choose between cloning Unix or cloning a Lisp Machine.
He chose Unix, for various reasons of expediency,
which we should respect, given the success of his project
at promoting free software, and how useful it has proven:
GNU includes all the tools that made free unices possible,
as well as a great Lisp-based editor.

Now, I believe it's time for the complementary project to GNU to appear.
In reference to its elder free software project, I think set of all
LispOS related free software projects should be given the generic name NIL,
which stands, of course, for ``NIL IS LISP''.
Maybe it's time that we write the NIL Manifesto, in answer to GNU?

== Fare' -- rideau@ens.fr -- Franc,ois-Rene' Rideau -- DDa(.ng-Vu~ Ba^n ==
                TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System