LispOS directly on hardware or on Unix kernel?

Chris Bitmead uid(x22068) Chris.Bitmead@Alcatel.com.au
Thu, 01 May 1997 09:54:18 +1000

>Let me turn the question: What exactly would you do in a pure LispOS
>that you can't in a system containing a Unix kernel and running a
>multithreaded Lisp on it?

I agree. We can't go back to the days when there was special hardware
for lisp.

Why all this talk of re-implementing Unix utilities in lisp and
translating C code into lisp code?

We need a solution that allows us to also use whatever code is out
there already. It's bad enough that when I use Linux I don't have all
the apps I want. LispOS will be in a worse situation. Let's keep the
ability to run UNIX and X programs.

And if you are going to keep that ability, let's run it on a standard
Linux kernel. Maybe you want some more features to submit to Linus,
but that's probably not a problem.

And IF in 5 years time, LispOS is so successful that you don't need
UNIX compatibility any more, well then you can purge it out.