symbolics vlm and other stuff

Harvey J. Stein abel@netvision.net.il
Thu, 1 May 1997 10:52:46 +0300

DF@glider.maclab.lonestar.org writes:
 > [ Apologies if anyone receives this and the next 2 messages twice, I
 > sent them out very early this morning and apparently they never made
 > it to the list.  Since I'm gatewaying my mail through a unix machine,
 > this isn't really much of a surprise.  *sigh* ]

Not to single out DF in particular, but is it possible to develop a
LispOS without so much unix bashing?  I've  got a dozen machines
running Linux here, and pretty much if they crash it's because of a
hardware failure.  If they behave poorly, it's usually because of
misconfiguration.  LispOS won't be immune to either of these either,
so I don't expect it to be more reliable.  Of course, some of the
configuration is a much bigger headache than it should be (one word -
sendmail), and some of the lack of reliability comes from relying on
shitty programs (one word - sendmail), so, once configuration comes into
LispOS and becomes more rational, I'd expect that the amount of poor
behaviour due to misconfiguration to decrease.

--
Harvey J. Stein
Berger Financial Research