CMU-CL and lispOS

Tim Pierce twpierce@mail.bsd.uchicago.edu
Thu, 1 May 1997 17:03:45 -0500 (CDT)

> From: Fare Rideau <rideau@ens.fr>
>
> > Bear in mind that the Linux kernel is under the GPL.  So even if
> > CMU-CL is not under the GNU Public License, any system built
> > substantially upon the Linux work will necessarily inherit the
> > GPL.
> Wrong! That's the kind of comment that make people think
> that the GPL is a crippling virus!
> We can very well release software that runs on top of Unix
> and *uses* Linux, without making it GPLed.

One of the proposed projects under discussion is the replacement
or substantial modification of the Unix kernel to integrate Lisp
on a system-wide basis.  Such a modified Linux kernel would
unquestionably be GPLed, since it is a derivative work.

Of course I did not mean to suggest that projects must inherit the
GPL simply because they are written on a GPLed operating system.