LispOS directly on hardware or on Unix kernel?

Mike McDonald mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com
Thu, 01 May 1997 16:14:08 -0700

>Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:23:56 -0500
>To: LispOS <lispos@math.gatech.edu>
>From: Chris Hanson <chanson@mcs.com>
>Subject: Re: LispOS directly on hardware or on Unix kernel?
>
>I think another problem with putting LispOS on Unix initially and then
>trying to replace the underlying layer is that the core operating system --
>memory, process, and communication management -- may be significantly
>different in design between a Lisp-oriented OS and Unix.

  Sure, I can buy that. I think from time to time as the system is
being evolved, major chunks of the system wiil have to be ripped out
and replaced. If we can do a half way decent job of defining
interfaces, then hopefully that pain can be localized. The alternative
is to design the whole thing out first, then start implementing it
without changing any of the interfaces. I don't think that's a viable
approach for such a fuzzy project being manned by transient
volunteers. That approach would also mean it would be a long, long
time before we saw the results of (car '(a b)). I'd rather live with
having to periodicly revisit portions of the system than wait for the
"ideal" system to be designed and built.

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@engr.sgi.com