SilkScript example

Kelly Murray kem@Franz.COM
Thu, 01 May 1997 17:32:29 -0700

> That request gets sent to the LispM, which interprets it, steps the
> programs, captures the output, and sends an ENTIRE new page for my
> browser to display, almost all (except the last line!) is a repeat of

Sure it is not optimal, but it gets the job done.
Which would you rather have:
 1. Works, but isn't optimal
 2. Optimal, but isn't available

I'll take #1 every time.
If the display updates fast, it won't make any difference.
You can bet this might be painful over a 14K modem line,
or over the internet to HongKong,
but on a local network, it is fast, as long as the page content
is not massive.  By using frames, you also reduce the amount of redisplay.
Moreover, the stepper can only display the immediate area
around what's being stepped if it is too big.  That's how I did it with
my X-windows/VT100 based source code stepper as well.
Also, good coding style says a function shouldn't be bigger than a page.

-kelly