Fw: Device drivers

Mike McDonald mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com
Thu, 01 May 1997 23:15:41 -0700

>To: "LispOS" <lispos@math.gatech.edu>
>Subject: Re: Fw: Device drivers
>From: marcus@cathcart.sysc.pdx.edu (Marcus G. Daniels)
>Date: 01 May 1997 22:05:21 -0700

>ET> If we wrote the appropriate supporting code, we could use the
>ET> Windows device drivers directly and get the hardware manufacturers
>ET> to write device drivers for us for free.
>
>And these hardware manufacturers provide source code?

  I believe "et" was proposing to build enough of a support
environment so that the binaries could be used. Even with source code
for the drivers, the amount of surrounding support functions from
Win95 (or NT) that we'd have to emulate is just too large to be
practicle. The XFree86 guys have dreamed about that for years without
any luck.

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@engr.sgi.com