Running Unix programs under LispOS

CsO 3335 colin.oliver@gecm.com
Fri, 02 May 1997 08:36:47 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,
Can I ask what is wrong with using GNU as the LispOS kernel?
There seems to be a dichotomy where some say 'do it cos we
can with Lisp & new ideas right on the HW or a slim OS kit'
(this is what I though a LispOS would be all about) & others
'lets get going now with a Linux/BSD kernel & skip the driver
issues & get all those apps already ported to Unix & appeal to
the masses'.
Isn't this what the FSF are doing with GNU? Building a bridge
between the old world & the new. If we want a way of narrowing
the interfaces to a Linux/BSD, won't the HURD be exactly that?
We don't need the Unix personality but we can use the Daemons.
On the other side of the coin we can create our own HIRD to
support a LispM personality. Wouldn't this mean that the Unix
side could bomb completely & still leave the Lisp world alive?

Just daydreaming aloud.